OOTD: The Only Way I Know How

Friday, May 12, 2017


NOTE: Anthropologie is offering 20% off your purchase this weekend! Post coming a little later today.

I hardly ever wear camo. It's not really my thing. But then along came this prettiest one I'd ever seen with tones of perfect plums, greens and tans, and I suddenly I was convinced to make it mine. But how does one style such a tough, masculine piece -- even one like this with softer hues? It has to be done with cute compliments I believe...it's the only way I know how...











Jacket: Anthropologie | Top: Free People | Jeans: AG Jeans (also 123) | 
Shoes: Loeffler Randall (see more of my shoe picks here, here and here)
Sunnies: Ray-Ban (c/o Solstice) | Bracelets: Mya Bay 123 | Watch: Apple
Bag: Chloe (very similar 1, 2) | Earrings: J. Crew 
Photos: Laurel Creative

Don't you love outfits that are easy to throw on and do your thing? This look is ideal for weekends or days off from work for me; I can tie the jacket round my waist if it gets hot or roll the cuffs down to full length if I feel a chill. I love outfits that make me feel good wearing them and this one is the kind where friends say "Cute!!!" upon arrival. I'm especially celebrating the Chloe purse, which I found for a complete steal. It is sold out, but I found a very similar bag -- here too -- (for much less than even my steal) that has the same look and feel.

Earlier this week I shared my process for creating Spring layered outfits and this jacket was included. It has an oversized fit and runs large on top of that (I sized down to a small) which is what I think is leading to all the negative reviews on Anthro's site. For me, this jacket is one of the better fits I've had a denim jacket, which I never expect to be body-skimming. This one is a great length on my 5'8" frame and has a good cut across the shoulders, back and down the sleeves. They are ideal for cuffing! As of this morning, the jacket is 20% off, along with all Anthropologie goodies.

My personal style tends towards softer items, so to tone down the tough qualities of the jacket I've paired it with a lace top (an easy way to soften any look!), big yet incredibly lightweight earrings, a fun stack of bracelets, a pink bag and leopard print pumps. If that doesn't do the trick I don't know what will!

The jacket is not standing tough by itself though. My aviators, a pre-Costa Rica gift from Solstice, also call back to the military vibe of camo, but in a rainbow lens, it's much more fun and much less serious! Solstice is having an amazing promotion this weekend -- if you like designer sunglasses, I highly recommend checking it out! I'm on the hunt for a good pair of round sunnies myself and I think that with the discount these, these or these would be fabulous.

What are your tricks for toning down a masculine piece in your outfits?