OOTD: Lighter than air

Friday, May 5, 2017


Serious question: Is there anything a ruffle can't do? From bringing good cheer to dressing up an otherwise standard top, ruffles were made to please. Those who are sick of ruffles will need to step to the left -- my love affair with these beauties knows no end.










Top: J. Crew | Pants: Anthropologie (old, similar) | Earrings: J. Crew | Sunnies: J. Crew | Rings: Anthropologie
Bag: Free People | Bracelets: Mya Bay 1, 2, 3 | Shoes: J. Crew | Watch: Apple | Lipstick: NARS 1 + 2
Photos: Laurel Creative


I love to wear items with fun little details, like the circular medallions on the bag (which I also very much want in the light grey), the cute sayings on two of my bracelets or the sparkle of my earrings. It could all very easily become overwhelming but here's the style trick I used to rock them all in the same outfit: the neutral, two-tone color outfit. We've got brown tones in the shoes, bag an earrings and white in the pants and top. Blue makes a subtle appearance on my rings and sunnies but for the most part there are two neutrals doing the heavy lifting in the background allowing all the details to shine.

There are many, many one-shoulder ruffle tops available this year, but this J. Crew one won my heart thanks to the double ruffle layer, eyelet bodice and interior lining. The ruffles have a mind of their own in the wind which is sometimes fun and at other moments induces a panic of whether my shirt is now wearing lipstick or not. (Eep!)

As for what coat to wear over this, I carefully sneak on my favorite military jacket of the moment. It's somewhat cheeky to have a bit of ruffle peeking out!

What's your favorite Spring style secret?