OOTD: The Beautiful Commute

Friday, April 28, 2017


Commuting to work can be stressful...or it can be easy, effortless and fun! The Q train stops on the new 2nd Ave subway line here in Manhattan illustrate that. So does Madewell's glorious Spring 2017 line! Wrapping up my series of Madewell Spring outfits (for now!), let's take a walk on the colorful side.










Jacket: AG Jeans (also available via 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) | Dress: Madewell | Shoes: Boden
Necklace: Madewell | Bag: Chloe (other colors here, here, here and here
Earrings: Anthropologie (old, similar) | Rings: Anthropologie
Photos: Bekka Palmer

The new 2nd Ave subway line is bright and airy compared to many of the older train stops, and the most beautiful part of all has to be the mezzanines between street level and train platform. At each of the three new stations the MTA commissioned an artist to leave their mark on the expansive hallways. At 86th Street, artist Chuck Close created mosaic versions of some of his renowned portraits, painstakingly detailed close-up shots of people both famous and 'ordinary.' Standing next to these 9-foot tall mosaics one can't help but marvel at the magnificence of color and silhouette.

Beauty comes in all forms, from artwork as self-expression to outfits! I'm a big fan of using my clothing as a means to communicate to the world -- to share my cheery, vivid outlook on life and invite people to know just a bit about who I am based on what I wear.

This year I've been quite taken by Madewell's Spring clothing, with its warm color palette, excellent mix of neutrals and killer denim! It's been fun teaming up with them for this series of outfit posts and visiting the store many times over to revel in what's new and works well together. This red banana dress is ostensibly a beach cover up, but it works great as a day dress (or a Friday work dress in my casual office environment!)

Part of my frustration with retailers lately has been how hard they make it to see outfits, whether by releasing way too much stuff or not helping the customer to see how pieces work together. At Madewell I never have these problems -- from inspiring store mannequins and outfit hangers to clothing in a complementing palette, shopping there is fun and rewarding! Two things I love to say about clothing.

Here are my other posts in this series:
OOTD: I like the way you move
OOTD: Spring whites
OOTD: Blues & Greens Forever
OOTD: Warm hues and sunny days

And below are some of my favorite Madewell items, including sale goodies! From these 35 items in this boutique you can easily make a bevy of pretty outfits which will be flattering and chic. So many of us love Madewell in this community! What are your favorite items there right now? What have you bought and loved?