The biggest sale of the year is coming

Friday, May 14, 2010


You'll note that the date on the image above is wrong (because it's from 2009) but the timing is right. Yes ladies, next Tuesday should be a great day for Anthropologie sale hunters. It happens twice a year; Anthropologie is ready to clear out a bunch of items and the Sale section will grow exponentially. Kathryn and Carol first mentioned the upcoming sale on In Pursuit of Pretty Things. I was planning to wait until Monday to talk about this so as not to start a frenzy but I've been getting a bunch of emails about this as a result of their post so I figured now is as good as any time. Because clearly the frenzy is already here!

There's markdown weeks, there's big markdown weeks and then there's these twice-a-year markdown weeks. We're talking a lot of items here. For the last couple of years this has meant instead of walking into Anthropologie and seeing new items I've seen the sale racks right up at the front of the store. It will be very interesting to see how Anthropologie positions the markdowns this year since they're doing so well. Hopefully it works the same as past years and they throw us a bone already. The sale stuff is organized by item category (sweaters, pants, skirts, etc.) and then by price, so there's a rack of $70 items and a rack of $30 items and so on.

Remember the goal here is to clear out the Pre-Spring/Spring stuff and motivate you to buy from the late Spring and Summer collections (which will still be full price). Is an item that came out 2 weeks ago going to be on sale? No. Is an item that came out 30 days ago going to be on sale? No. Anthro will still hold true to their sale cycle in almost every case. What this does mean is the items that we've been waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) to hit sale are finally likely to do so. There will hopefully be a bunch of 2nd markdowns to look forward to as well. I'm optimistic that the items that were "accidentally" marked down 2 weeks ago will once again be on sale come Tuesday.

We'll still play the Sale Guessing Game on Monday afternoon. Then on Monday night Kim will run by one of her Chicago stores so be sure to check out Anthroholic to see what the scoop is. And come Tuesday morning feel free to wake up with me to see what the full list looks like (be ready to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll).

Want some tips for the hunt to avoid flowy overload? Here are my plans for Tuesday:

1. Make a list of items you really, really want.
I have not-so-patiently been waiting for a bunch of items to go on sale. This weekend I'll be whittling down that list to probably 4 or 5 items that will fill holes in my closet. Will I stick to that list? Who knows, but it will be my starting point.

2. Set a budget.
It's really easy to get caught up in the hype of "everyone is buying x item so I must need it too!" or "the deelz are so good I must spend $" or even "this hardly happens so it's worth the splurge". But one hard & fast rule for me these days is to ignore the pack mentality and buy the items that I need (or desperately want) and live vicariously through others for the rest. I've set 2 budgets for myself: the "well this really wasn't such a big deal after all" budget or the "holy crap 40 items I want went on sale, what the hell do I do budget". I will not be going over that 2nd number.

3. Breathe!
One of the hardest things for me is that while I'm writing the Sale posts on Tuesday the items I want are quickly depleting in inventory online. I'm sure this affects community members not near a store more than me but nothing is worse than prepping your cart and then finding an item out of stock when you go to checkout. But if there's one thing I've noticed lately with the weird development of people "pre-buying" items on Monday night, it's that almost everything comes back into stock. So if the item you want is sold out on Tuesday morning when you wake up don't despair. You've got a community here of ladies to keep their eyes peeled in stores. And there's a good chance that your item will pop back up online once Anthro's inventory system catches up. So I've learned to be patient (sort of). As much as I loves me some Anthro, it is just clothing.

Before you ask no I have NO IDEA what items are going on sale yet. We'll play the guessing game on Monday, I promise! And I am very much looking forward to it. I can't wait to share in the excitement of scores with everyone. If you have questions please leave them in the comments. I hope you have your pennies saved up.