Reviews: Endless Chevrons Dress, Things & Joys Dress, Cooling Palette Dress, Oroya Dress, Girls from Savoy Dress

Wednesday, April 7, 2010


File this one under things that make you go hmm. This is Anna Sui's beautiful Endless Chevrons Dress ($198) and while a website search turns up NOTHING it's available in every size through the catalogue link. (Page 78.) I have no clue why this is.



The model has pale skin like me so I was excited to try on this dress. And I was not disappointed. I sized down one size to a 4 as I always do with Anna Sui. To buy this one though I'd probably stick with my normal 6 because there was some odd pooching happening around my midsection. I would rather start with a dress a bit too big than one a bit too small.

My iPhone had some issues with the pattern of the dress but the catalogue shot accurately represents it. I saw owls in the medallions along the skirt. The dress is a bit stiff and the material is pretty thick -- not exactly summer-ready. Still for spring it would work well once this damn heat wave breaks. It was 88 degrees today in NYC! I'm thrilled that Anthro has this deal with Anna Sui because I love her dresses but can't afford the items in her regular line. I stroll through her Soho store once a month to ogle the goods. Wishlisted!



Eva Franco is another brand I'm thrilled to see at Anthropologie. I have a stunning sundress from the brand that I adore. The bold prints are fab. This is the Oroya Dress ($188). Instant points for having a top accommodating to chests.

I tried my normal size 6 and found the top to be a bit loose. The problem was in the shoulders -- the wide straps were a bit too long for me. This might require tailoring rather than sizing down. The sash, while awesomely long was also a bit stiff. I wrapped it all the way around for the far left shot. I'm undecided on this dress. Wishlisted for now.



This Girls From Savoy dress is the Rhomboid Rush Dress ($148). It reminds me of last year's Glass of Bubbily Dress but with a higher neckline. Also, ahem, Burlapp, take note of how the pattern is focused at the bottom of the skirt rather than around the waist, thanks!

Since the dress is a shift I sized up to an 8. I didn't need to though; there was plenty of room. I will buy this dress in my usual size 6. The light blue is a wonderful shade and this dress would be work appropriate for me. I love the wide waistband and the skirt is straight enough to give me room to move. I've been ambivalent about a lot of Girls From Savoy's offerings but this is a real winner. This dress will be in my cart the moment it hits the website.



Girls from Savoy gets a double-shot in this reviews set. This second dress gets major boos from me though. It's the Cooling Palette Dress ($188) and the bodice is cut horribly. So. Very. Tight. A 6 would not zip. An 8 would not zip. A 10 would not zip! I cannot fathom how this dress is cut for adults. Not even worth saying any more. Back to the rack.



Anthro released quite a few prairie-style dresses last month and a few of them just made the website. Maeve's Things & Joys Dress ($128) is probably my favorite in the bunch. It's nice and long and the bodice is cut perfectly! Very flattering. There are nice details like a plaited waist and little darts at the bust. The thick straps are a plus. My usual size 6 was wonderful. The skirt is voluminous -- more than the product photo indicates. I think you could cut some of the tulle out to settle the dress a bit. But why would you? I found the look to be a comfy delight.

If only I had a place to wear this dress! It's easy and summer-ready, just not for NYC. Wishlisted though I'm kidding myself. This dress is gorgeous but doesn't fit into my lifestyle.