Quick hits: Dress after fabulous dress

Thursday, February 25, 2010


Anthropologie has released a ton of beautiful dresses recently. This post attempts to review a small herd of them! Kicking things off is Marimekko. Anthropologie, thank you so much for carrying this brand I've literally been swathed in since I was born. My parents discovered the brand in Finland and then France and I've been addicted to their vibrant, bold prints ever since. If you're ever in NYC there's a Marimekko concept store in my old 'hood.



This beautiful maxi dress from Marimekko is called the Rustling Treetops Dress ($188). I am not normally a fan of these long dresses but my goodness this one rocks! By some coincidence I was wearing nail polish that matched the vibrant green perfectly. I know the dress looks like it's flaring out but that's only because it needs a steaming to get the pleats to sit correctly. This halter dress is easy, breezy and beautiful. I sized up 1 size to an 8 since this brand tends to run small.



Tracy Reese's Pictureshow Dress ($298) was one of the stars of the February catalog. While I love the look I have no clue where I'd wear this so I tried it on just for the blog. The zipper on the back of this one stuck something crazy and the cups weren't really big enough to accommodate me. As with all Tracy Reese dresses the craftsmanship is top notch. A beautiful dress but not meant for me. I sized up to an 8.



Another Tracy Reese dress here -- this one is the Sky Grown Dress ($228). The cut of this one is fantastic for curves. The fit on the model is quite different. There are snaps up the side of the dress but it actually closes via side zip. It's made of slippery silk that felt more like rayon. Though I tried on an 8 I'd like to give a 10 a shot as well, mostly for how tight it was around my thighs. My legs are pretty thick though so most people probably won't have this issue.



Lil's Caballo Falls Dress ($168) looks like it went through a couple of changes before making it to stores. Specifically I noticed the strap got thicker, which I approve of as the spaghetti straps would not have worked for me. I do like the version of the print on the product shot however. I sized up to an 8 for the larger cups (I am a 34D). This dress is really pretty though I'm not sure how I feel about it for me.



I was really looking forward to Girls From Savoy's Monukka Dress ($168). Unfortunately I was very disappointed by it. I grabbed my true size 6 and it was ridiculous. Tons of extra fabric and I would liken wearing this dress to being in a trash bag with the twist tie used as a belt. Maybe sizing down to a 4 would help but something is definitely off about this dress. Not flatting at all.



This dress from Deletta isn't on the website yet but I couldn't wait to share it. It's $138. I love the appliqued bouquet on this easygoing stunner. The price is a bit high in my opinion but I just adore the look. I sized down to a small for the best fit. Slim and petite gals are going to find themselves sized out of this one. The cut is just right for a curvy frame and I can't say enough good things about this one. Moved to the top of my wishlist for sure.



Maeve, you have redeemed yourself in my eyes. Whatever crazy fit issues the line had over the winter seem to be resolved now. The State Fair Dress ($138) is the latest perfect frock Maeve has unveiled. My true size 6 was a perfect fit with the accented waist hitting at just the right spot. Do not trust the color in these photos -- the product shot is more accurate to real life. This dress would be perfect for work or weekend. Love it! Wishlisted.



I had a request to review the Slate Stripes Shift ($128) so here it is! This is another Maeve piece though the fit is...tentlike. It's the pattern! It looks like a circus tent or an awning or something like that. The size pickings were slim so I grabbed a 4. It was too tight around my thighs but fit fine up top. My true size 6 would work perfectly. This dress would look best with a cardigan or top over it. By itself the shape isn't working for me.