Reviews: Sun Dot Dress and Speckled Ink Dress

Wednesday, January 13, 2010


I made major grabby hands upon spying the Sun Dot Dress ($148) by Floreat in the January catalogue. It has just the right amount of fun and sun in it. I knew it would be a challenge to work on me.



Still, I couldn't help but be disappointed when it didn't work. I basically had every problem the online reviews allude to. I sized up from a 6 to an 8 hoping the cups would hold my 34Ds. And they did so that was a small win. But for whatever reason the dress had major bunching issues around both my tummy and my backside to a ridiculous degree. So much extra fabric. Sizing back down to my true size 6 would most likely mean incomplete chest coverage. Sadly I had to give this one up. It's depressing that Anthro made this super cute dress that's going to work on such a small subset of bodies. It's possible that this could be fixed with a strategically placed belt. On sale I'd take the chance but at full price this is a definite pass.



I had better luck with Tracy Reese's Speckled Ink Dress ($158). This jersey number is rayon and spandex and I would have preferred cotton jersey for a slightly stiffer fit. But it's a quibble. I tried on my true size medium which fit well. It stretched across my chest somewhat although there was no way I was going to wear the cross strap the way the model does (below the chest).

This dress did a great job of showing off my tiny waist but unfortunately I felt as though it made me look even more busty than I am. I do like this dress but I'm not quite head over heels in love with it. I've wishlisted it for now waiting NOT SO PATIENTLY for the Snow-Covered Fields Dress ($148) to arrive in stores.