Reviews: Balletomane Tank, Striped Pursuit Top, Oscillating Folds Blouse, Debonair Doily Top

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A non-sequitur start to the post: I have a February catalog preview up on Facebook! Plus lots of new arrivals this morning. I always love it when Anthro goes to the circus.

This post is dedicated to tops. Each day Anthropologie seems to be releasing 2 or 3 new ones that I want. This spring is going to be budget-deadly I can already tell. First up is Burlapp's Balletomane Tank ($78). Frills in the front, business in the back. This top is made of layer upon layer of tulle with a flower on the left shoulder for good effect.

I tried on my true size medium and it was a bit big on me. I'd size down to a small to buy this. I wasn't expecting to like this top. It was a very pleasant surprise! The color reads as greyish-blue in real life. I wish it was a richer shade like red or purple. I suppose this shade makes it more versatile as a layering piece though. Added to my wishlist; see it on the lovely Kim from Anthroholic here.

I was eager to see Odille's Striped Pursuit Top ($98) to evaluate its summer vacation potential. I was hoping to try on an 8 (one size up) as I'd heard this top runs short. Unfortunately the 8s were all gone so I tried on a 6 instead. The overall fit of the 6 was fine but I'd have preferred the 8 for an extra inch at the bottom.

The top is made of smooth silk and has a beautiful smocking detail at the waist. It was pretty friendly on my larger bust and I also saw this looking fab on a mannequin. The split shoulders aren't really my favorite though the look works on this top. No complaints besides the length. It seems perfect for summer but it's only 38 degrees here. So for now this top is content on my wishlist.

Sine continues to impress me. Their most recent effort at Anthro is the Oscillating Folds Blouse ($88) which comes in grey or the lovely yellow (with slight hints of citrus orange) you see above. Anthro calls this shade "taupe." Not in my estimation. Sine normally runs small so I sized up to an 8. That was a mistake -- it was loosely hanging off of me. This top is true to size.

Other bias cut ruffle tops have done an unflattering number on me -- I'm looking at you, Tutu Tank!!! ($68, review here) -- but this one looked pretty good. The ruffles are almost like a sash across the shoulder. I can see this top looking very cute with shorts or a mini skirt (I'll go for knee-length though, thanks). Yet another top on the wishlist!

This is one.september's Debonair Doily Top ($98). It's unfortunately unlined...I guess Anthro figures this way you can throw whatever color tank you want underneath. The size medium was just about perfect on me. I felt a little bit like I was wearing a tablecloth. It's a slightly thicker alternative to straight lace though and I appreciate that.

This top is a little outside my comfort zone but it's very cute. Just another beautiful top for the wishlist. 4 for 4, Anthro!