Reviews: Tees and Tops, part two

Thursday, December 3, 2009


This outfit kills me and I mean that in the best way possible. If I could I would reach into the picture and trade clothes with the model right away. The sweater is the glorious Hues Unfolding Cardi ($128) by Knitted & Knotted which I have not seen yet and under it is Ric Rac's Forever Garden Tee ($58) which is the first top in this review set.



Ric Rac is one of my favorite Anthropologie brands and I love just about everything by them. But this top wasn't really winning me over. I'm not a huge fan of tieback tops and this piece is so soft that it feels weird having one. The deep v-neck exposed more than I was comfortable with for a work top. The cut of the chest doesn't leave much room for busty women. I think this top is meant for smaller chests.

I liked the print a lot though, and the black piping along the neckline is a nice touch. I usually take smalls in Ric Rac and that's what I tried on here. It's a pretty top but not for me.



Yoana Baraschi's Tea Leaves Top ($68) in another deep v-neck. With some fiddling in my true size medium I was able to get good coverage up top. My waist looks tiny in this top to be sure but I think my hips and bust look huge as a result. Even the product shot seems to have this effect a bit.

It's another soft shirt. The polka dot patterns are both very cool though I wish the sleeves had been kept consistent with the bodice. For someone looking to add shape I think this top would be a terrific choice. Back to the rack for me though.



This Weston Wear top isn't online yet. It's $78 and I tried on the medium. Tiebacks aside (I'd remove it if I bought it) it's a fun little top. The bodice is all black pleats while the body is grey jersey. The top gives good coverage yet looks pretty. I would pair this under a cardigan or jacket and most likely use it for casual wear.

The top has a great shape to it, tapering in just below the bust and then softly drifting back out into an a-line. The back has a v to it but still ended well above my bra strap. It's simple but very well done. And I always feel compelled to mention that this top was made in the USA and I love that.



The website says this top is by Ric Rac, but I remember it as Deletta. Either way this top made it into the dressing room with me. It's the Painted Porcelain Tee ($58) and I think it's my favorite of the 8 I tried on. The pattern is nostalgic to me; I think I had a similar shirt as a kid. The body print kind of reminds me of Marimekko while the neckline embroidery is pretty in pink. I tried on the small and it fit wonderfully.

There is a ruched seam just below the bust to create an empire shape. Great touch -- it universally flatters. This is a beautiful tee and though it's silly I wish it were $48 instead of $58; I would have impulse bought it right away instead of waiting and adding it to my wishlist.

Have you tried on or bought any of these tops? I got some great suggestions this morning -- are there other tops you'd like to see IRL shots of?