Reviews: The New Math Dress

Sunday, May 17, 2009


I can't decide how I feel about the New Math Dress ($218). I know that I like it...I know that I think it's pretty. But is it so throwback that it becomes almost costumey? I saw "Guys & Dolls" on Broadway recently and I could easily see this dress fitting in to the show. Then again I feel like you could totally rock this for a day on the Boardwalk. Or in the park. But are those two purposes also too ham-fisted? Not really sure.

The bottom of the dress is thick twill with a seersucker-esque quality to it while the top is silky, flowy and free. I had to size up in this Sunner dress. One size up to an 8 fit well on top but the skirt was a little bit tight around my thighs. A 10 was better in the skirt but too large on top. Had I bought it yesterday I probably would have gone with the 8 and cursed the curves.


The dress has a wide tie back made of the same twill as the skirt. It also has a side zip and I noticed something odd: on the size 10, the zip is in front of the sash but not on the size 8. On the 10 you could clearly see what looked like a defect in the skirt of white material at the side seam but was actually just the zipper's side material. This material probably ran 3 inches down from the waist. It kind of looked like if I'd taken the dress to a tailor to be let out and they'd just stuck random material in instead of matching the skirt color. On the size 8 however the zipper was behind the sash so you could not see it when the dress is tied. Very weird.

The dress is high-waisted. It would look great on someone with awesome legs! (So does every dress, I know.) I would not recommend this dress for people under 5'4" because the short top of the dress does give a bit of a vertical squish. I liked the ruffly top and didn't find it too overpowering. But because neither size fit me perfectly back to the rack this went.