Quick Hits: New Dresses

Thursday, May 21, 2009

When I came home last night with my fifth Anthropologie shopping bag in as many days it raised some eyebrows in my household. Legitimate. While my spending at Anthro is about to go on hold for awhile it doesn't mean I can't try stuff on! Anthro has been unveiling some appealing dresses over the last few weeks and a bunch are on my wish list. Quick hits below.


The Pearland Dress ($128) by Maeve has a western flair but says preppy to me. Love the button/ruffle detailing on the corset top. I'm always leery of strapless dresses but this one could easily do the transition from park or beach to lunch or shopping. I tried this dress in a medium and it fit wonderfully.


The New Idyll Dress ($148) is uh-may-zing. Love the skirt. Love the scallop-trim top. It kind of reminds me of the lovely aprons Anthropologie is carrying right now but it's something so much more. My true size 6 was kind of roomy. This one might require a size down to a 4.


I have not seen the Texture Pairing Dress ($198) in-store yet. But it looks really cute on the website. Has anyone seen this at their local Anthro?


The Spun Sugar Dress ($138) fits like a dream in a size 6. I adore the 'mocha icing trim' on this dreamy masterpiece. The lace and pintucks combine to build a flattering shape and the skirt catches the air nicely when you twirl. A winner in my book.


A little reminiscent of 'Heidi' to me, the Brightness & Shadow Dress ($148) by Burlapp takes chiaroscurro to confectionary delight. The skirt has exquisite little details right below the waist. It would be so much fun to wear this dress on a summer day! The 6 was a wee bit tight on top so I'd probably size up to an 8 to buy.


More free and flowy comes via the Blissful Days Dress ($118). Airy gauze makes this dress light to wear but also means very little support. The basketweave back expands freely enough so that a 4 fit me fine, but the back is too low for a bra so this is a no-go for me. It's beautiful to admire though.


The Stormy Seascape Dress ($158) drew lots of fans in stores. I watched guest after guest take one from the rack to try it on -- how could I not? This is another frock that would require a strapless bra but the results are well worth it. The thick straps minimized my shoulders while giving my clavicle a nice little featurette. It pulled in my waist even more than normal and made my hips look blessedly porportional. A true delight from Sine in my true size 6.

How about you? Which dresses have you tried on? Which ones do you want to?